Due: 1/16 at 9pm Chicago time
of this assignment is to give you a bit of practice with the
material presented in the first week of the class - the design of
- Find a microwave oven. It could be one in your apartment. We
want a variety, so any ones within ERF or SEL are off limits.
Note down where it is located and who you think the common users
are, and what its commonly used for.
- Take a good photo of the main panel including the input and
output - something like these.
- Think about how the user interacts with the microwave oven
- Think about the common things that you, your friends, and your
family do with a microwave oven
- Create a public webpage including your photo(s) and discuss
what is good and bad about the design, the mapping, the use of
language, access for the elderly or disabled. Organize your
discussion into sections.
- Think about some possible improvements, draw some sketches of
your improved interface, and discuss those improvements
- This should be equivalent to a three page 8.5x11 typed page of
- Email the location of this webpage to the TA before 9pm on
- Bring a printout of your webpage to class on the 17th where we
will have an in-class activity related to the homework