Darren R. Thompson
1134 N. Wolcott Chicago,
To work in computer graphics using my current knowledge and experience
allowing growth in new applications.
of Illinois at Chicago, Jan 1994 - Jul 1998
MS in Computer Science, specialization in graphics, GPA 4.7/5.0
Western Illinois University, Jan
1990 - Dec 1993
BS in Computer Science, minor in Mathematics, GPA 3.7/4.0
Languages C++, HTML,
X, Motif, OpenGL, Performer, CAVELibTM
Applications SoftImage, Alias,
Silicon Graphics, Sun, PC
UIC, Industrial Virtual Reality Institute
Engineer, Aug 1998 - Present
- Interfaced ADAMS/Solver with the CAVETM
to run dynamic
simulations of earth moving equipment in VR
- Designer and programmer of CAVEActors
human actor/avatar libraries, written in OpenGL, Performer
and C++ for the CAVETM
- Extending the CAVEAvatars library to be used in telecollaboration
- Hardware manager of both the CAVETM and ImmersaDeskTM
UIC, Biomedical Visualization Lab
Research Assistant, Jan 1994 - Aug 1998
- Designer and programmer of an application for the SGI in C++, Motif and
~ count cells in microscopic images
~ reconstruct volumes in parallel from MRI, CT, and SPECT images
~ construct Bezier surfaces in parallel from image data
~ segment the brain from the scalp and skull
- Primary system administrator of Sun workstations networked via ATM with
shared printers and a 100GB tower
- Designer and programmer of the user interface for a facial recognition
Western Illinois University
Research Programmer, May 1992 - Dec 1993
- Implemented modules within a symbolic math CAD/CAM mechanical
engineering system in Maple
- Wrote a Motif application that graphically displayed cause maps to aid
managers in decision-making processes
Phi Kappa Phi, Upsilon Pi Epsilon
Scholarships 1993 Caterpillar,
Army Achievement Medals (3), Good Conduct Medal
U.S. Army Reserves
Non-Commissioned Officer, Feb 1990 - Sep 1992
- Responsible for processing up to 100 personnel into the military within
three-day time frame
Infantryman, Jan 1987 - Jan 1990
- M60 Gunner; 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey, Korea
- Mortar section; 3rd Ranger Battalion, Ft. Benning, GA
Professional - "Tele-immersive
Product Evaluation: A Review and an Implementation Framework,
"D. Thompson, A. Banerjee, P. Banerjee, T. DeFanti and S. Retterer,
and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, (accepted for publication).
- " Extended-range Hybrid Tracker and Applications to Motion and Camera
in Manufacturing Systems " IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation,
- "A Framework for Tele-immersive Product Evaluation," D. Thompson, A.
P. Banerjee, T. DeFanti and S. Retterer, Proc. ASME Ind. Virtual
MH-Vol. 5/MED Vol. 9, Chicago, 1999, pp. 57-66.
- Exhibitor: Super Computing Conference '97, with the Laboratory
Advanced Computing, UIC. Calculated
MRI volume data sets
in parallel, using ATM to network multiple machines, PTool
access the data, MPI to
transfer the data, and the ImmersaDeskTM
to display the output.
- "Evaluation of Brain SPECT Changes Using Statistic Parametric Mapping
Following Diamox (D) Challenge," D.G. Pavel, D. Thompson, B. Patel, Q.
Brint, M. Dujovny, V. Ibanez, Univ. of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago,
Laboratory of Neurosciences, NIA/NIH, Bethesda, MD. The Society
Medicine 44th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, June 1997. Installed and
the hardware and software necessary for the authors to conduct their research.
- "Neandertals," National Geographic, Vol. 189, No. 1, January 1996.
program used to find the orientation of the Neandertal skulls in the article.
- "A Working 2-D Symbolic CSG System Written in Maple," T. Trias, D.
Thompson, L. Leff, Z. Malic. Computers in Engineering Symposium,
- "A Symbolic CSG System Written in MapleV," D. Thompson, T. Trias, L.
Second Annual Maple Summer Workshop and Symposium, Ann Arbor,