My name is Yu-Chung Chen. People who know me call me Julian. I am currently a Ph.D. candidate at Electronic Visualization Laboratory, University of Illinois at Chicago. Before current program, I worked at the National Center for High-performance Computing in Taiwan for four years. I received my M.S. and B.S. degrees in Computer Science and Information Engineering at National Chiao-Tung University, Taiwan in 1998 and 2000. Here is my curriculum vitae and short publication list. I sometimes take pictures.
I started working at the Pixar Animation Studios in August 2011.
Research and Development
I am interested in human-computer interaction, scientific visualization and high-performance computing.
My dissertation title is: "Immersive Empathic Design for Interdisciplinary Collaborations".
I took the following courses: Virtual Reality, GPU Programming, Computer Animation, Parallel Processing, Multimedia Systems, Human-Computer Interaction, Software Engineering and Advanced Computer Architecture.
- HANDS visualization: a visual analytics system for Hands-on Automated Nursing Data System.
- CoreWall: a scalable high-resolution visualization system for initial geological core description.
- Github projects: I started using Git in 2009 and I put some snippets and little programs there.
- August 2011: Joined Pixar Animation Studios, Emeryville, CA
- June 6-10, 2011: Apple WWDC 2011, San Francisco, CA
- May 11, 2011: Dissertation Defense, Chicago, IL
- May 7-12, 2011: CHI 2011, Vancouver, BC Canada
- January 2011: Workshop on Changing Dynamics of Scientific Collaborations at Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Koloa, HI
- Apple World Wide Developers Conference Student Scholarships for 2006, 2007 and 2009.
- US Invention Patent No. US 7,253,841 B2, “Remote Control Method of Tiled Display”, 2007/08/07 – 2025/08/07
- High Performance Award, National Center of High-performance Computing, Taiwan 2003
- "A Parallel Distributed Problem Solving Environment": Honorable mentioned in undergrad student software project competition, National Chiao-Tung University 1998.
842, W. Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60607
Email: julian at evl.uic.edu