University of Illinois at Chicago
School of Art and Design
Instructor | 1998 - Present
Curriculum Designer | 1999
- Developed the School's first ever curriculum in 3-Dimensional modeling and animation.
- Teach two sections in 3-Dimensional modeling and animation to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Demonstrate hands-on techniques for modeling and animation in Alias Power Animator and Maya.
- Actively critique student work, and evaluate their performance.
- Educate students with real-world slants on each discussion topic.
- Foster an atmosphere of creativity, and aestheticism in a medium that can be rather technical.
Teaching Assistant | 1998
- Designed a comprehensive 40 week curriculum in
3-Dimensional modeling and animation for Gallery 37 and the Chicago Public
Schools' Advanced Arts Education program.
- Consulted with Gallery 37 Center for the Arts personnel
on resource acquisition, including identifying software and hardware needs.
- Actively participated in portfolio reviews with
Electronic Visualization Laboratory
- Assisted Professor Sandin's AD408, Computer Art and Design course during spring semester 1998.
- Responsible for system administration of the Newspace lab, containing 10 Irix workstations.
- Managed user accounts, YP and NFS servers.
- Upgraded the lab's network from Thin ethernet to 10Base-T ethernet.
- Managed the purchasing and licensing of all software and hardware at Newspace.
Research Assistant | 1998
Gallery 37 Center for the Arts
- Assisted the System Administrator during summer semester 1998.
- Responsible for increasing the number of network
interfaces in the 2nd and 3rd floor labs at the Electronic Visualization Lab.
- Assisted in upgrading software.
Chicago Public Schools
Advanced Arts Education Program
Teaching Artist | 1999 - Present
- Teach a comprehensive course in 3-Dimensional
modeling and animation.
- Actively develop students abilities to critique their
own work, as well as that of other students.
- Organize site visits with Chicago area educational
institutions, production companies, and galleries.
- Provide students vocational guidance.
- Act as mentor and role model to Chicago area students
at The Center.
Post Production Manager | 1997 - Present
Animator | 1995 - Present
- Position the corporations media on the cutting edge of digital video and streaming media technology.
- Determine market trends and research viable media delivery solutions for current and future clients.
- Key internal and external consultant focused on determining the most effective integration of media into our clients applications.
- Manage a creative team of Producers and Editors.
- Hire and educate new employees in the Post Production Department.
- Engineer, maintain and upgrade all video production and post production equipment, including computers, VTRs, and cameras.
Producer | Editor | 1995 - 1997
- Plan, coordinate, and execute all animation production at Cognitive Arts.
- Collaboratively create innovative designs based on
cognitive psychology and proven learning theories.
- Distill all content and art elements into cohesive
learning aids for students.
- Produced highly effective trade show marketing animations and corporate id.
Northwestern University, Institute for the Learning Sciences
- Created, equipped and staffed the media start-up's Video Department.
- Positioned the corporations offerings on the cutting edge of digital video and streaming media technology.
- Produced every aspect of video production for specific client's CD based, intranet and internet training applications, including shooting, editing and special effects.
- Educated new employees in the Post Production Department.
Digital Video Specialist | 1993 - 1995
Brothers of the Christian Schools, Midwest District
- Responsible for post production of all digital media for the Institutes' research projects.
- Researched quality conscious, cost effective, capture and compression solutions for multi-platform, software based digital video delivery.
- Taught video production to Ph.D. and M.S. students . Topics included aesthetics, production, and the technical considerations of digital video production.
Producer | Editor | Director | 1992 - 1997
The Fund for Innovative Television
- Produced, edited, shot and directed three recruitment videos for the Lasallian Youth, a world-wide service organization comprised of high-school and college students.
- Responsible for securing a $25,000 Koch Foundation Grant for Lasallian Youth.
- Organized every aspect of production in two countries, ten states, and fifteen cities over a five year period.
- Currently sifting through 260 hours of footage for a 1 hour documentary on the organizations' impact on the youth of America.
Production Assistant | 1993
- Responsible for detailed review of all footage shot for WPWR's "Chicago Slices".
- Coordinated location shooting.
- Contributed creative input during edit sessions.
- Performed shot selection and edited some rough packages for air.
Animation Production Assistant | 1991
- Responsible for inking and painting cels and creating mattes for the PBS documentary "Dinosaurs".
- Camera operator on multi-pass "Death of the Dinosaurs" scene.
Master of Fine Arts Candidate | Electronic Visualization
Electronic Visualization Laboratory
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Bachelor of Fine Arts | Photography - Film - Electronic Media | 1993School of Art and Design
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago,
Alias|Wavefront Maya Certification | 1999
Los Angeles, California
Film Production I | 1995Chicago Filmmakers, Chicago, Illinois
Introduction to C Programming | 1994Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
1995 | Image Union - "Ghost of a Dog" (twice)
1993 | Image Union - "To Carry On"
1993 | MTV - "To Carry On"
1992 | TNN, and JBTV - "To Carry On"
1999 | Art Synthesis '99 - "Contrast"
1999 | New York Animation Festival - "Contrast"
1998 | SIGGRAPH Television - "Sesame Street Revisited"
1998 | Electronic Fields Installation - Illinois Art Gallery
1997 | ISEA, Virtual Spaces - "Just Words"
1993 | The Guild Complex Poetry Video Festival - "Destination"
1993 | University of Illinois Film - Video Festival - "Ghost of a Dog"
1992 | University of Illinois Film - Video Festival - "Destination"
Awards and Scholarships
1994 | Dean's List
1993 | Dean's List
1993 | Talent Tuition Waiver
1993 | School Faculty Prize for Film - Animation - Video
1990 | Mildred R. Knoles Opportunity Scholarship
AIVF - Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers
ASIFA - l'Association Internationale du Film d'Animation
SIGGRAPH - ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics
Film and Video Mastery
- Sony DXC-537 BetacamSP, Hi8 and DV cameras, Canon photographic, Hi8 and DV cameras.
- CP16R, Bolex H-16, Forox, Mitchell, and Oxberry animation cameras.
- Arri, Mole Richardson, and Lowell lighting fixtures.
- Post Production
- Sony BetacamSP PVW/UVW series VTRs, Radius Telecast, and Truevision Targa RTX.
- Avid XPress, Adobe After Effects, Premiere, Commotion, Media 100, Ultimatte, and Director.
- Microsoft Netstream, RealMedia, QuickTime, and Video For Windows.
- Alias|Wavefront Maya Certified
- Alias|Wavefront Power Animator
- Adobe After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Premiere
- Avid Xpress
- Filemaker Pro
- Macromedia Director, Flash, and Shockwave
- Microsoft Office
- MediaCleaner Pro
- WaveConvert Pro
- Programming Languages / APIs
- RenderMan Interface
- MacOS, Windows NT and Irix system support and network administration.
- RealMedia Server, FTP, and HTTP server configuration and administration.
- YP and NFS server configuration and administration.