1727 S. Indiana Ave. Apt#320, Chicago, IL 60616, USA
Ph.D. in Computer Science 08/2006 Present
Master of Fine Art in Electronic Visualization 08/2003 07/2006
Thesis: Pan - interactive visual installation
Master of Science in Architectural Engineering 09/1997 08/1999
Thesis: Development of a 3D Model House for Apartment Sales on the Internet
Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering 03/1993 02/1997
Adjunct Professor 08/2010 05/2011
· Teaching AD 457 / 458 Interactive 3D class at School of Art and Design
Research Assistant 08/2006 Present
· Developing lifelike computer interface, Avatar, sponsored by NSF
Teaching Assistant 08/2003 05/2006
· Assisting with the Electronic Visualization & Design Visualization Lab in
· Administering & implementing Windows, Linux, and SGI Virtual Reality workstations including system hardware and software.
· Implementing & programming immersive installation systems.
Electronics & Communications Research Institute,
Researcher, Virtual Reality Research
· Developed graphical user interfaces and created special effects
· Designed prototype for 3D online computer game engine software
Researcher, R&D Team
· Developed 3D computer gaming engine software for National Research Laboratory project, funded by
· Researched and wrote several proposals analyzing computer gaming industry trends for presentation to the Korean government
Graduate Teaching Assistant (1998-1999)
· Served as teaching assistant for Design and History of Modern Architecture course
· Graded student papers. Illustrated and explained modern architecture styles
Graduate Teaching Assistant (1997-1998)
· Served as teaching assistant for Practice and Application of Architectural CAD course
· Introduced 3D computer graphics software. Lectured on modeling, animation, and presentation
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA 03/2007 present
· Toward Lifelike Computer Interfaces that Learn: a (Electronic Visualization Laboratory, supported by NSF - CNS-0703916, CNS-0420477.)
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA 08/2006 02/2007
· CoreWall - Corelyzer: a collaborative development for a real-time stratigraphic correlation, core description and visualization system to be sued by the marine, terrestrial and Antarctic science communities. (Electronic Visualization Laboratory, supported by NSF - OCE-0602121, ATM-0307262, ATM-0071477, EAR-0319203 and EAR- 0120914.)
Electronics & Communications Research Institute,
· A Development of 3D Online Computer Game Engine Software: Developed fundamental 3D online game engine software to promote Korean computer gaming industry, including motion transition graph, multi-height map system based on 2D special effects and tools, and game data such as game world and character.
Ministry of science & technology,
· A Development of Processing Engine for Data of Motion & Polygon for 3D Computer Games: Created 3D game engine software using high quality animation data via a motion capture hardware system. Researched core technology trends and designed the engine structure.
Ministry of culture & tourism,
· A Propriety Research of the Advance of Korean-Made Console Game Unit into Foreign Markets, July 2000: Surveyed gaming market trends and console game technologies to propose a strategic plan to promote the Korean game industry.
· A Plan for the Development of Updated Technology and the Bringing Up of Various Media Contents Industry Sector, December 1999: Prepared plan to manage the new market for digital multimedia, such as movies, computer animations/games, virtual reality environment software, and digital music.
Pan 01/2006 05/2006
· Pan is an insteractive visual installation. This work was an MFA thesis project (Master of Fine Art in Electronic Visualization, 2006). Pan simulates the motion from status of three table interfaces. The tile of this work, Pan, is a Korean word that has several different meanings such as a plate, a disk, a place, a stage, etc.
Rolling Ball 09/2005 12/2005
· Rolling Ball is an experimental project to develop a wireless user interface to control balance of virtual environment via small microcontroller circuit. With accelerometer sensor and RF modules, a user can interact with virtual objects to control a traditional rolling ball toy.
Light Me Up 09/2005 12/2005
· Light Me Up is an interface to translate user hand motion into visual presence. A tiny physical interface represents one of instances of the composition of virtual building blocks. By moving your hand over the sculpture, one can create various height and color schemes for these blocks.
STREAM IT! 01/2005 05/2005
· STREAM IT! is a real time media work base on virtual reality system. With two small cardboard box installations, people can send video stream data into VR environment. Primary interaction is to put various physical objects into boxes and then system will translate the video stream from webcam that is installed inside box into 3 dimensional texturing and geometry data.
BOUNCING SPACE 08/2004 12/2004
· BOUNCING SPACE aims to create the relationship between the concept of sound and motion. From our expectation, moving objects usually produce sound in real, a user creates motion of the primitive objects and each object generates sound. The second concept came from the reverse of this general idea. It is “from sound to motion.” Every moving object base on simulation of physics.
3.D.UO. PAD an interactive 3D sketchpad 01/2004 12/2004
· 3.D.UO. PAD is an interactive 3D sketchpad. In immersive 3D display systems such as CAVE or CWALL, the user can draw and carve sketchpad. One can select and assign 2D image as texture for sketchpad and morph the pad dynamically by color values of texture image pixels. Once the work is finished, the result can be saved and loaded later in real time.
Dinner at the
· Developed by Helen-Nicole Kostis, Sangyoon Lee, Tina Shah, Ruby.
· Dinner at the
The Creation - From eight signs of divination to the World 08/2003 12/2003
· The Creation simulates the very first stage of the Creation of the world by interacting with eight signs of divination plates which symbolize the universe. The signs become the four faces of world and holy guardian animals such as Tiger, Dragon,
• Lee, S., Kshemkalyani, A., Shen, M., "Performance Evaluation of Incremental Vector Clocks," Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC), 2011 Tenth International Symposium on , pp.1-8, 6-8 July 2011
• Work featured on NOVA scienceNOW "Can We Live Forever?,” January 2011 < http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/jason-leigh-avatars.html>
• Lee, S., Carlson, G., Jones, S., Johnson, A., Leigh, J., Renambot, L., “Designing an Expressive Avatar of a Real Person,” International Virtual Agent (IVA) 2010, Philadelphia, PA, 09/20/2010 - 09/22/2010
• Sun, Y., Leigh, J., Johnson, A., Lee, S., “Articulate: A Semi-automated Model for Translating Natural Language Queries into Meaningful Visualizations,” Proceedings of 10th International Symposium on Smart Graphics, Banff, Canada, 06/24/2010 - 06/26/2010
• Chen, Y., Hur, H., Lee, S., Leigh, J., Johnson, A., Renambot, L., "Case Study – Designing An Advanced Visualization System for Geological Core Drilling Expeditions", Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2010 (CHI 2010), Atlanta, GA, 04/10/2010 - 04/15/2010
• Work featured on Discovery Science channel “Future of: Immortal Avatars,” September 2009 <http://science.discovery.com/videos/popscis-future-of-immortal-avatars.html>
• Chen, Y., Lee, S., Hur, H., Leigh, J., Johnson, A., Renambot, L., “Design an Interactive Visualization System for Core Drilling Expeditions Using Immersive Empathic Method,” Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Boston, MA, 04/04/2009 - 04/09/2009
• DeMara, R., Gonzalez, A., Hung, V., Leon-Barth, C., Dookhoo, R., Jones, S., Johnson, A., Leigh, J., Renambot, L., Lee, S., Carlson, G., “Towards Interactive Training with an Avatar-based Human-Computer Interface,” Industry Training, Simulation & Education Conference (I/ITSEC) 2008, Orlando, Florida, 12/1/2008 - 12/4/2008
• Rao, A., Chen, Y., Lee, S., Leigh, J., Johnson, A., Renambot, L., "Corelyzer: Scalable Geologic Core Visualization using OSX, Java and OpenGL," Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2006, 07/08/2006 - 08/11/2006
EXHIBITION & AWARDS
The Image of Reseach, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago May 2010
· Avatar - A Virtual Human, Won the 1st place award (link)
Gosia Koscielak Studio & Gallery, Chicago January 2007
· PAN, interative installation (5th - 27th, January, 2007)
“Digital Art Awards 2006”, Tokyo, Japan November 2006
· PAN, Honorable Mention in interactive category hosted by Keio Research Institute at SFC
“Drawing Current - MFA Theisis Exhibition”, Great Space, UIC, Chicago May 2006
· PAN, MFA thesis project
“YEAR END SHOW OF ELECTRONIC VISUALIZATION”, CVRA, UIC, Chicago May 2005
· 3.D.UO.PAD and Bouncing Space, Annual exhibition of Electonic visualization program
· 3.D.UO.PAD, Best work award in Virtual Reality Environment session hosted by
“ELECTRONIC VISUALIZATION show”, CVRA, UIC, Chicago May 2004
· The Creation From eight signs of divination to the world, A part of portal application of VR Grid, EV show
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows, Linux, SGI IRIX
Programming Languages: C/C++, Visual C++, Java, VRML, OpenGL, SGI Performer, Parallax PBasic
Graphics SW/HW: Vicon Motion Capture System (FX40) and iQ / Blade SW, Autodesk Maya & MotionBuilder, ZBrush
Microcontrollers and Circuits: Parallax Basic Stamp microcontroller, various sensors, and circuit design for physical computing
Certifications: Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform