Marcus L. Thiébaux
EVL: Electronic Visualization Laboratory,
UIC: University of Illinois at Chicago
851 S. Morgan St., Rm. 1120, Chicago, IL 60607
phone: (312)996-3002, fax: (312)413-7585
Master of Science & Master of Fine Arts;
Chicago IL; Spring 1997;
- The EV program integrates the talents of artists and engineers
in the design of immersive input environments, large database
visualization, and network communication.
- Worked with the Cave Automated Virtual Environment
using C++, X, and OpenGL on SGI unix workstations.
Bachelor of Arts;
Oberlin OH; Spring 1992;
- Completed the Liberal Arts degree with a combined major in
Studio and Art History, and a Computer Science minor.
- The Liberal Arts curriculum encouraged my interdisciplinary
interests in such diverse areas as linguistics, sociology, and
architecture, as well as computational engineering and synthetic imaging.
- ACM/IEEE SuperComputing 1993; student volunteer, CAVE application
development & programming support.
- ACM Siggraph 1994 VROOM Exhibition; student volunteer, contributed "Detour" and
- Imagina Animation Festival 1995, Monte Carlo; exhibited "Detour" with stereo CAVE
- ACM/IEEE SuperComputing 1995 GII Testbed; student volunteer, contributed "Synesthesia"
and the "Cosmic Voyage" CAVE demo.
- PBS Innovation Mini-Series: "People In Motion", airing of "Detour" VR video
animation, March 10, 1996.
- ACM Siggraph 1996, Digital Bayou, the Bridge; organized and exhibited "Oort
Continuum", a collaborative Immersadesktm art project.
- Ars Electronica Festival 1996, Linz Austria; installed and exhibited
on a 4-wall distributed CAVE.
- L. Bielski, "Imaging & VR Makes an Artist's Experience Accessible,"
(contributor), Advanced Imaging, November 1994, p. 10.
- R. Addison, "Detour: Brain Deconstruction Ahead," (sidebar, images),
IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, March 1995, pp. 14-17.
- J. Luskin, "The Universe in a CAVE," (images), IRIS Universe,
Spring 1996, pp. 28-32.
- N. Gilmore, "Supercomputing Goes Hollywood," (image), Illinois
Quarterly, May/June 1996, pp. 26-28.
- P. Borsook, "The Art of Virtual Reality," (images), IRIS Universe,
Summer 1996, pp. 37-40.
- S. Latta, "Astrophysical Simulations Come Alive in a Cosmic Voyage,"
(images), NCSA Access, Summer 1996, pp. 2-5.
- F. Vizard, "Getting Inside Special Effects," (image), Popular
Science, September 1996, p. 36.
- 1993 Christian and Oline Larsen Scholarship, UIC
- 1994 School Faculty Prize for Graduate Study in Electronic Visualization, UIC
- 1994 Best Virtual Art/Event, sponsored by CyberEdge Journal